Friday, January 24, 2014

Aunt Ruthie’s Spinach Soufflé Salad

1-3 oz package Lemon Jell-o
1 cup hot water
½ cup cold water
1 ½ Tblsp vinegar
½ cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Dissolve Jell-o in hot water. Add ½ cup cold water , vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Pour into refrigerator freezing tray. Quick chill in freezer until firm 1’ from edge but soft in the center. Whip until fluffy.

Fold in:

1 cup raw spinach, chopped
3/4th cup cottage cheese
¼ cup diced celery
1 Tablespoon finely chopped onion.

Pour into mold and set until firm. Release from old and serve.


Notes: This is a recipe I got from my Great Aunt Ruthie. She was my grandfather’s sister and has long since left this earth. Aunt Ruthie made this for one of my cousin’s wedding showers long ago and it was so delicious I asked her for the recipe. I have never seen anything like this anywhere else, though I have not researched it. It’s a nice change from all the sweet Jell-o recipes that are out there and loaded with protein and good fresh spinach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! If you ask a question I will try to answer it, but there is no spam allowed in this kitchen! Thanks for dropping by!